|Vehicle Type||Benz Patent Motorwagen - Replica|
|Year Built||Original was built 1885, Mannheim, Germany. Replica built 1986|
|Built By||Original: Karl Benz; Replica by John Bentle, United Kingdom|
|Suspension||Fully elliptical springs at rear with live axle and chain drive on both sides|
|Engine||954 cc single-cylinder, four-stroke engine with trember coil ignition, .75 horsepower|
|Owner||Woodland Family Collection|
The Benz Patent-Motorwagen was a three-wheeled automotive with a rear-mounted engine. The vehicle contained many new inventions. It was constructed of steel tubing with woodwork panels. The steel-spoked wheels and solid rubber tires were Benz's own design. Steering was by way of a toothed rack that pivoted the unsprung front wheel. A simple belt system served as a single-speed transmission, varying torque between an open disc and drive disc. Details included an automatic intake slide, a controlled exhaust valve, high-voltage electrical vibrator ignition with spark plug, and water/thermo siphon evaporation cooling.
This faithful replica of the 1886 Benz is one of 90-or-so manufactured by John Bentley in the United Kingdom whom was given full access to the original patent details and sanctioned by the Daimler-Benz Company in Germany for the 100 year anniversary. They were originally distributed via the Mercedes-Benz Classic Center to Mercedes-Benz dealers for 100 year anniversary showroom displays.
Of historical interest, it was not Karl Benz that took the first long-distance automobile drive, but his wife Bertha, whom saw an excellent opportunity to visit her mother in Pforzheim, by borrowing her husband's creation (without his knowledge). Full details can be found here.